COLTS Laboratories was founded in 1997 as the first independent test lab for the ophthalmic industry; testing lenses, coatings, cleaning cloths, and solutions to industry standards. Soon after, our testing services expanded to include personal protection equipment, which includes eye and face protection, industrial hard hats, welding helmets, and auto darkening filters. In addition to testing, COLTS offers supplies and equipment for in house testing needs, as well as education training courses for our clients.
Personal Protective Equipment Testing
Our personal protective equipment division tests a wide array of samples, ranging from spectacles to motorcycle helmets.
Our laboratory is currently testing to the following global standards:
- ANSI Z87.1 (2020, 2015, 2010), ANSI Z89.1 (2014, R2019)
- CSA Z94.3 (2020), CSA Z94.1 (2015, R2020)
- MIL-PRF-32432 (GL) (2013), MIL-PRF-32432A (2018), MIL-DTL-43511D (2006), MIL-PRF-31013 (1996)
- BS/EN 166 (2002), BS/EN 167 (2002), BS/EN 168 (2002), BS/EN 169 (2002), BS/EN 170 (2002), BS/EN 171 (2002), BS/EN 172 (1995), BS/EN 175 (1997), BS/EN 379 (2003)
- AS/NZS 1337.1 (2010), AS/NZS 1338.1 (2012), AS/NZS 1338.2 (2012), AS/NZS 1338.3 (2012)
- ISO 18526-1 (2020). ISO 18526-2 (2020), ISO 18526-3 (2020)
Common sample types are as follows:
- Face Shields
- Industrial Hard Hats
- Welding Helmets & ADFs
- Visors/Respirators for Motorcycle Helmets, Fireperson Helmets, etc.
The capabilities of our PPE division are extensive. If you do not see your sample type in the list above, reach out to Dale Payne to see how COLTS can fulfill your unique testing needs.
Our highly trained ophthalmic division is skilled in helping clients gain knowledge about their specific lenses and lens coating attributes. With 2 ABO certified technicians on staff, COLTS is able to offer a wide array of testing including, but not limited to, scratch resistance, coating adhesion, environmental exposure and spectral properties.
Our laboratory is currently testing to the following standards:
- ANSI Z80.1 (2020), ANSI Z80.3 (2018)
- ISO 12311-1 (2014), ISO 12312-1 (2013), ISO 14889 (2013), ISO 8980-1 (2017), ISO 8980-2 (2017), ISO 8980-3 (2013), ISO 8980-4 (2006)
- AS/NZS 1067.1 (2016), AS/NZS 1067.2 (2016)
- FDA 21 CFR 801.410 (2021)
- ASTM D1003 (2000), ASTM D1044 (2019), ASTM D635 (1998), ASTM F659 (Annex A1) (2010)
Lenses and frames are the most common sample types sent in for this type of testing. If you have a product that does not fit those parameters, please reach out to Gregory Williams to see how COLTS can assist you with your special project.
Equipment & Supplies Sales
Our Equipment and Supplies division is available for purchase of select machinery and the unique consumables that go with them for those laboratories with in-house testing needs. Each machine is built to order, and clients are provided with a minimum 90-day warranty.
COLTS Equipment -
COLTS Supplies -
- Standard Control Lenses
- Crosshatch Tool Kit
- Electrical Tape
- Grip Liner
- Kryptonite B
- Neoprene Gaskets
- Potassium Sulfate
- Sodium Chloride
- Sodium Phosphate
- Stainless Steel Balls
- Tumble Test Media
This list is a summary of our most sold items. If you are looking for something not mentioned above, please contact Gregory Williams for more information, as we offer many more options for equipment and supplies.
Technical Services Manager for Ophthalmic Testing & Equipment and Supplies
727-725-2323 Ext. 208
Technical Services Manager for Personal Protective Equipment Testing
727-725-2323 Ext. 211